Sunday, October 26, 2014

The One With October Lesson Plans: Week Four


It's our final week in October!!! It has flown by so fast!

This week is review week, but I also added an activity per day in case you're looking for something fun to do! One of the themes for October was baking, so I have 2 kid-friendly baking activities (dump and stir!)

During review week, see if your child has mastered these subjects:
-Identifying the color orange
-Identifying the letters D, E, and F
-Identifying an oval
-Identifying the number 1 (and basic counting skills)
You can repeat any lessons that your child really liked, or go back and do any lessons you didn't do!

Note of honesty: Even I, Liz, don't do every single lesson on this blog. I just don't. I have every intention to, but life happens and things come up! If you do every lesson on here, kudos to you! Can you mentor me?
Here is our opportunity to play catch up.



This week's activities:

2 ingredient pumpkin muffins:
Directions: All you need is a can of pumpkin (15oz) and a box of spice cake mix! I've heard are only 80 calories and 1 Weight Watchers point or something, but don't quote me on that. Kids love to help stir and dump things in!

Stir together 1 box spice cake mix (just the powder in box, no other cake ingredients) and one can of pumpkin puree. That's it!
(Optional: I also added a 1tsp of pumpkin pie seasoning and about 3tbs of water. I know I only said 2 ingredients, but these kick it up a notch!) Fill cupcake wrappers until 3/4 full and bake at 350 for 20 minutes, or until set. Ta-da!



Orange Sensory Bin:
Directions: Dye some noodles orange** and add some orange items into a tray/tub for your kids to play with! Discuss the color orange. Add some items that don't belong (blue, purple, etc) and see if they can scoop and find all of the things that shouldn't be there! My kids love using spoons, measuring cups, dixie cups, and other kitchen items to stir and dump! *When using small items such as noodles, be sure to watch small children because of choking hazards.*


**To dye noodles: dump plain, uncooked noodles into a large gallon zipper bag. Add in a tablespoon or two of rubbing alcohol. (I've also heard that hand sanitizer works if you're in a bind, but I haven't tested that theory!) Add in a few squirts of orange (or red mixed with yellow) food coloring, zip up the bag, and shake! I would definitely have the dying be an adult-only activity since food coloring is not very forgiving. Continue shaking and add more food coloring/alcohol as needed. Once the noodles are at the desired color, lay a paper towel on a cookie sheet and spread out the noodles to dry. It dries much faster outside if you are able to do so. Enjoy!


Pumpkin Rice-Krispie Treats

Directions: Recipe here! I want to give them all the credit! Click this link.


 This is all of the stuff you need!
 I shaped mine into a pumpkin and used a pretzel stick as a stump! Yum!



Pumpkin Guts Exploring
It's about as American as apple pie! Please make sure that you carve some pumpkins this month, and make sure to play with the guts! :)


Love you guys! I'm getting November plans ready soon! Have fun reviewing, baking, and exploring this week.



3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! I absolutely love all of your posts! I am currently planning out my lessons for this year, and I was wondering, did I overlook the D and F sorting mat pages?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very informative and impressive post you have written, this is quite interesting and i have went through it completely, an upgraded information is shared, keep sharing such valuable information. Hoarding Cleanup Blackwood

    ReplyDelete