Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The one about community and cleaning

Ok here is my soapbox of life right now:

1. People are supposed to live in community. We are. It is in our nature, and Christ has called us to do so. I've been reading a good book called "A Meal With Jesus" and its all about how Jesus' main way of ministering to people was through sitting down and breaking bread with others. He ate with prostitutes and tax collectors, whatevs, He'd spend time with anyone. I really felt like when I was in Africa, I was able to grasp what Biblical times were like. It was so great to be able to walk around and live life so casually with people. Nobody stayed around shut in their houses. We all spent time with each other...and frequently...and informally.

2. Think back to your college days. The fondest memories I have of these days is just popping by my friends' dorm room, hanging out, watching tv, wearing pajama pants, going to the cafeteria together and eating. I never called and made appointments to hang out. We just did it. It was easy and natural. I think this is why everyone has such great memories of college. We were living life in community with each other.
I have the same recollections of living in a cul-de-sac growing up and just hanging out with my buddies on my street. We ran around outside and played, rode bikes, drew with chalk, etc. We just knocked on our neighbor's door and said, "Can Suzie come out and play?" It was great. Why can't life be like that now?

3. Appointments. Fancy things. Pinterest. Everyone thinks that the other person is soooo busy and perfect. I promise, the other person is NOT so busy and perfect.
It's funny how you have to schedule play dates or lunch with people weeks in advance, but if your mom wants to pop over for a minute you are free anytime. It's because you don't care if your mom sees you unshowered, or in your pajamas at noon, or with a messy house. You know that your mom is safe and non-judgemental, and therefore, you can have a real life with her. Frequent. Informal. Community how it should be.

4. Not that formal things aren't nice. I like to dress up and go to cute showers or themed events and parties. They are fun. But my life isn't that perfect 24/7. Its not adorable and cute all the time. Sometimes my kids crawl around in diapers all day. I have poop and spit up on my clothes. A lot of days none of us are out of our pajamas when my husband comes home from work. That's reality.
But when anyone that isn't super close comes over, I feel the need to be pulled together. Like everything is fine and dandy and cute and, "Why yes, I do have some fresh squeezed lemonade in an adorable pitcher." The truth is, nobody is that pulled together. It's just not possible. So why do we fake it?

5. I fake it because I continue to trick myself into thinking "Well...when I went to Suzie and Johnny's house it was perfect and clean and she had a fabulous meal and beautiful everything." In reality, the only reason Suzie's house is perfect is because HER friend's house is perfect when company is over. LET'S STOP THIS VICIOUS CYCLE. I offer you a challenge.

6. Don't hide your mess from me. Don't look perfect all the time. Don't. I know you have laundry. It's in there somewhere. Truthfully, I don't care if you have laundry out. Don't apologize for it. It's reality. So many times I've said to company, "Oh, sorry this isn't organized" or "Sorry there are dishes in the sink." Seriously? They have dishes too...who am I kidding?
As long as your house doesn't look like an episode of Hoarders, I'm cool with it. For real, I'm not secretly judging you. If your living room is a minefield of Legos, no big deal. I think its endearing. And from now on, I hope you feel the same way about me.

If we are able to be REAL with one another, we will be able to have community. It'd be like the good old days, when appointments didn't matter, when you could stop on by, when you could just spend casual time together without a theme or organized activity. We should all do each other the favor of showing our imperfections, and community would flourish.

End of soapbox. What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. I agree! On lots of points. I made a lovely comment, but blogger ate it. Bad blogger! now I'm too tired to make it again. So, imagine witty and smart stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I see my own imperfections more than I see others', therefore I shouldn't be worried about people judging me as harshly as I judge myself. Also, I believe HGTV, Better Homes and Gardens and the like were created by the devil to make us crazy with distractions from what's important and value-added in life. I like your ideas, let's just live real life together instead of being on stage for our friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And therefore, you won't make fun of my mushy morning face anymore? :D

      Delete
  3. I just absolutely love everything about this and your blog. Thank you for putting it out here. :)

    ReplyDelete