Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The One Where I Don't Read the Warnings.

So apparently I don't read warning/safety signs on packaging.

I think I do this because most product warnings are really obvious to me. (Your coffee is hot, don't put your hand in the moving blender, etc). Now that I've had kids, I actually have started paying close attention to the warnings (since I want them to live and stuff). Regardless, they are still pretty obvious, my favorite being the "don't close your baby in this box" sticker on all rubbermaid products:


Well, you see, I should have read the warnings for my baby walker. I knew not to let the babies go near stairs or ramps in a walker. I knew all the other weight and height restrictions with it. But I didn't think I would personally injure myself on a baby toy.

But I did. I have a bachelor's degree and crushed my thumb in a baby walker. I was trying to lower the height of the walker so little Char's feet could touch the ground.
WHILE SHE WAS STILL INSIDE THE WALKER. Why did I do this?

The walker immediately collapsed (don't worry, Charlotte was fine) onto my thumb and my hand was trapped inside a baby toy. Really Liz? I kept thinking, "This isn't happening" as one hand was jammed inside the toy and Charlotte's weight continued to pinch my thumb in the track. The only way to get my finger out was to get Charlotte out, but I only had 1 usable hand.

So I'm stuck in the living room, sitting on the ground with my hand stuck in a baby walker. These things are happening:

1. Emily is in her bed crying to get out from her nap.
2. I'm crying because my thumb might be amputated.
3. Charlotte is laughing at the amputation game we are playing.

Eventually, adrenaline kicked in and I was able to lift Charlotte out of the baby walker with one hand and awkwardly place her safely on the ground. Immediately my hand was released from the toy and my thumb was purple and concave.

I looked in the safety manual and there was a warning not to adjust the height while the child is in the seat. Oops. I didn't see that one. Magically my thumb isn't broken, so good times were had by all.

Moral of the story? Sometimes the lame warnings aren't so lame.
Babies are crying; I'm off to give them bottles!

No comments:

Post a Comment