Friday, April 20, 2012

The One with Green Chile Smothered Chicken

I wanted to share my favorite "go-to" recipe that I learned when I just got married. My hubby's favorite food is Mexican, and since I was trying so hard to be a good little Garcia, I tried this one! It is adapted from a Cooking Light book, so it's relatively healthy, too! Plus I love green chiles.

I'm a visual person, so here goes...
You need only these 5 ingredients! No chopping, either! 35 min total, 3 minute prep. Mozzarella cheese, lime juice, chicken breasts, WHOLE green chiles, and taco seasoning.




-Preheat oven to 400.
-Sprinkle some taco seasoning on the bottom of your pan (8x8). I don't really measure anymore, maybe a tablespoon or two?
-Arrange your chicken in your pan. (I used 3 chicken breasts, but I'm sure you could use 4, or even thighs or something).
-Squirt lime juice all over the chicken and pan, then sprinkle more taco seasoning on top of the chicken(1tbs ish). The recipe calls for 1 tbs of lime juice, but I probably use like, 3. To me: the more, the better. It makes juicy broth with the seasoning underneath.
-It's chile time!


-Open up your chiles flat (I do it by hand) so that it makes a triangle shape and lay it on the chicken. (FYI, these little cans have 3 chiles in them. If you use more than 3 chicken pieces you'll need another can. Or you can get creative with your chile arrangement. Usually a chile is huge and it can be used for 2 chicken pieces. Don't stress.)
-Cover dish with foil.
-Cook for 30 minutes.
-Take out and sprinkle cheese on top. I'm a fan of melted cheese, so I use about half a bag. (1 cup). You can use more or less if you'd like.



-Put it back in the oven (uncovered).
-Cook again for 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
-Ta-da! Done. Make sure you drizzle the yummy broth all over the chicken when serving.
I used the Uncle Ben's Spanish-Style rice (90 seconds) and some black beans for sides.



It's really simple and yummy. My friend Leslie said, "It tastes like a Mexican mama made this!!!" which is an awesome compliment to me. They make the best food.  Hope you guys try it sometime! Let me know how it goes!

4 comments:

  1. I love this recipe! It's definitely a favorite in this household. I can't wait for our girls to enjoy it with us. They're going to love Mexican food.

    You should show everyone the pork tenderloin recipe that you make. That one is REALLY good. It also looks really fancy when you're done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How spicy ae the chiles? I don't think I've used them before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds great! I can't wait to try this out.

    ReplyDelete