Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The One where I'm a Mom - Snob

I'm pretty opinionated when it comes to raising kids.  I was basically an early childhood development major in college, I nannied all throughout college, and I worked at a family summer camp every summer in college. I saw tons of different amazing families in action, and others that were pretty dysfunctional. Through all of these experiences, I made up my mind on a few points. We could call them ideals, standards, goals, whatever, but I am now finding them pretty unrealistic.

All I have to say is, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do. Here are some of my standards that have already been smashed, and my girls are only 7 months old.

1. My babies will never use toys with batteries/lights, etc.
I love classic wooden toys, puzzles, stacking cups, rattles, basic blocks, and toys that need imagination. Then Emily had to go to physical therapy because of her torticollis.  She literally couldn't turn her head to the left. We tried everything with no success. But as soon as her therapist busted out the obnoxious light up Winnie the Pooh singing toy, Emily attempted to turn her head to look at it. A miracle! Her therapist recommended we buy something similar so that I could continue working with her at home. My heart sank.  Crap. I swore I would never do it. But when it came to my baby's development, I knew I needed to get one. 98% of the girls' toys are still without batteries, but I know that they aren't going to die if they see a flashy toy.

2. My babies will never watch TV.
According the the American Association of Pediatrics, they say children under the age of 2 should watch NO television. None.  I really do understand why, though. It's not just the content, but also the speed in which the shows move. The way there are tons of camera angles flashing back and forth, cutting to and from different perspectives.  They say that watching lots of TV under the age of 2 increases the factor of ADHD greatly. Another study showed that pre-k children that watch fast-paced cartoons (Sponge Bob, etc) versus slow-paced shows had a much higher rate of ADHD. We still try to avoid TV at all cost.
But can I say that since day one these babies have been attracted to the TV like moths? We would always face them away so they wouldn't look. It's pretty hard to do! I will no longer judge mamas that let their kids watch TV. Our family has finally compromised that the babies can watch a Baby Einstein DVD once a day if they are super fussy. Sometimes its the only way that my hubby and I can eat dinner together without screaming in the background! I like that Baby Einstein has lots of fun colorful pictures and toys, but is slow-paced for babies' eyes. I recommend the Baby Mozart one for the early months! :)
                   *side note: The other day I pressed play and ran off to the bathroom. My girls got to watch  the first 5 minutes of Thor. Oops. Make sure you have the right DVD in!

3. My babies will never drink formula.
My body was not physically able to produce enough milk for 2 babies. Long story. At one point I was taking 16 pills a day to increase my supply, trying all the homeopathic stuff, pumping every hour, and I still made only 1 bottle a day. We needed 14-16 bottles a day. It broke my heart to give them formula, but they needed to eat! Sometimes we just fall short.

4. I will never get a mini-van.
Ok, so we can't afford one, but oh-em-gee I suddenly want a minivan. I don't care how I look. I don't care if it has wood paneling. Just please, get me a car where the doors open for me! Fitting 2 babies, a mega twin stroller, and groceries in my sedan is like the worst game of Tetris ever.  I give up.

I could go on and on. The moral of the story is: never say never. Of course, it's good to have high goals for your child and their development, but sometimes a few things are ok in moderation.
Where have you had to compromise your unrealistic standards?

9 comments:

  1. Very interesting! I so love reading all this stuff BEFORE having kids! I am sure I will have so many things that I will break as well. I found your information fascinating on TV. I will try to do that as well. I will probably be weird about things I feed my kids, what they listen to, watch, etc. I'm going to have to work really hard to not be a freak show. haha. I want an SUV... but I would also be okay with a Honda Odyssey, but yes they are a million dollars, so I'll probably get like a 10 year old SUV. (-: SO GLAD YOU ARE BLOGGING NOW!!

    ~Kathryn (AKA Taxi) (-:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! We can be blog buddies! I think I will be a weirdo about what they eat too! I am already trying to do all organic, non-processed as much as I can. I covet the Odyssey as well, but maybe someday! :)

      Delete
  2. My kids will not have artificial sweeteners! That one sounds plausible since we don't bring that into our house anyway. Beyond that... I don't know, I'm pretty sure I'll put my foot down on armed robbery, murder or even manslaughter, or fraud. You have to pick your battles.

    (BTW, nice handle, "A Nerd and A Free Spirit". Maybe you can find a nice 5-year-old SUV for a good price!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Picking battles is an art form. I've given in to the fact that we are only human and sometimes it is ok. Whatever IT is. I have found that at times I am in survival mode and you have got to do what you have got to do. Even if it means my son earned a lollipop last night for sitting through an hour and a half long assembly! He is so awesome though- after about 5 licks he was over it and traded it for an apple! I've done something right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go Ian! That's awesome! I'm learning that it's ok to be in survival mode! Hopefully I won't be forever!

      Delete
  4. I like this post. I think it's good to have ideas about parenting (and I had lots too about birth) and then realize that you may have to throw them out the window. Being a parent means constant adjustment. You are no longer the boss of your world. Not that you ever REALLY were, but you know what I mean. We think we are. I find that the more open I am to ideas, the better mom I am. Still, there are things I do hold fast to, and then things I strive for. But I try not to hold anything like it's Bible...unless it actually is, literally, the Bible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's the biggest lesson I've learned so far as a mommy - throw all your preconceived notions of parenting and what's "right" or "wrong" out the window. We're bombarded with articles/books/websites/emails/blogs/etc about what's "best" for our babies, but we forget that every child and family is different. Sean wouldn't watch tv until after he was 2 (mostly my doing, but he also couldn't care less for it), but Ethan will contort himself in every way possible to stare at that glowing box of magic. Formula vs breastfeeding - I struggled tremendously to breastfeed both my boys (1 week success with Sean, 10 week of 80% bf & 20% formula for E until I had to return to work). I can't imagine how difficult it is to nurse twins! Sean drank formula and is a very very healthy, funny, intelligent toddler who prefers veggies and fruit to ice cream - no joke. It's hard when you feel like you've "failed" - BUT you haven't, you just had to take a different route in parenting. I love reading honest mom blogs (like yours) because it reminds me that we're all human and doing the best we can for our kids every day, and that's all that matters!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks guys! I'll try to be legit with you all...without sounding too gross and awful! :)

    ReplyDelete